Friday, April 15, 2011

what does shopping and vacation have in common?

Clothes are ridiculously overpriced.  Rarely do I ever purchase a piece of clothing unless it's an absolute must have.  Even if then, I shrug at paying retail.  To help eliminate the possibility of being lured into paying more then I should, I simply avoid going to the Banana, Van Huesen, JcPenny, Jared Jewelry, and others I choose not to mention.  Until.............

THE SALE!!!!!!!!!!!  Everything eventually gets marked down, prices are slashed, coupons rain from the heavens, special deals are presented....  and then it's time to look like a million dollars!  ...but of course only pay what the threads are really worth.

If I frequent a store, I always sign up for the "frequent flyer card."  You know what I mean... it is similar to flying Southwest Airlines and being rewarded for flying with an airline that knows how to do it right.  Most reward cards are (at least should be) free to sign up and you build points toward free merchandise.  The trick is to use the card on those several SALE trips you make 2 - 3 times a year.  I will usually purchase around $1,500 of clothing at Van Huesen a year and only pay around $250.  .... then I receive $100 in rewards because I used my frequent flyer card.  Pretty smart huh? I will wait for the next 70% off sale and get an additional $300 worth of clothes for "FREE".  Overall I get $1,800 worth of clothes for $250. 

Our recent trip to Van Huesen was so much fun.  Both Anna and I needed some summer clothes.  We purchased $1,068.80 worth of clothes and only paid $277.57.  That is a savings of $791.23, which we are using toward our Viva Las Vegas crazy vacation. 

Not a bad deal, if you are just willing to wait for good clothes and a good time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment